- Supports energy production & prevents free radical damage
- A powerful antioxidant, Coenzyme Q10 helps promote cellular health
- Promotes overall cardiovascular health
- Enhances the metabolism and helps the body maintain energy levels and burn food for fuel. Additionally, CoQ-10 helps normalize the fats in our blood
- Supports healthy blood pressure already within the normal range
Coenzyme Q10, or CoQ-10, is a fat-soluble, vitamin-like substance involved in the exciting world of electron transport and energy production in the body. While needed by all cells, CoQ-10 is highly concentrated in heart muscle cells, because these "worker bee" cells require lots of energy! Coenzyme Q10 is manufactured by the liver and is also found in many foods, mostly in meat and seafood.
Much research has been done on CoQ-10 in the past two decades, especially in the areas of cardiovascular, periodontal, and breast heath, and overall energy. The bulk of clinical work with CoQ10 has focused on heart health, however.
Several trials involved the comparison between supplemental CoQ10 and placebo on heart function as measured by echocardiography. CoQ10 was given orally in divided doses as a dry tablet chewed with a fat-containing food or an oil-based gel cap swallowed at mealtime. Heart function, as indicated by the fraction of blood pumped out of the heart with each beat, showed sustained support in tempo, energy, and overall heart function.
CoQ-10 absorption is generally poor, unless taken with meals rich in lipids (or "fats"). Otherwise, over 60% of an oral dose can be excreted. It actually takes three weeks of daily dosing to reach maximal concentrations in the body. Peak levels of CoQ-10 after oral administration occur in 5-10 hours, and the half-life is approximately 34 hours.
Our Health Co-op's Coenzyme Q-10 50mg comes in an easy to swallow size 2S softgel.
- Many prescription drugs, most noticeably the cholesterol-lowering statins (and natural statins from red rice yeast), deplete CoQ-10 from the body.
- When taken in amounts exceeding 300 mg per day, CoQ-10 might cause asymptomatic elevations of liver function tests including LDH and mild elevations of SGOT. However, symptomatic liver disease has not been reported.
- CoQ-10 can lower blood pressure and reduce blood pressure readings when essential hypertension exists.
- Concomitant use can reduce the anticoagulation effects of warfarin. Dose adjustment may be necessary.