- Supports joint, tissue, and tooth health.
- Promotes skin health.
- Supports digestive and immune functions.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM by Another Name!) Methylsulfonylmethane, abbreviated MSM, is an organic sulfur-containing compound that occurs naturally in a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, and in animals.
MSM appears to readily cross the blood-brain barrier, which makes it highly available to the body. MSM is used to support healthy muscles, joints, teeth, skin, and soft tissue.
MSM is found in the body’s tissues and fluids, and helps to maintain collagen, which is important for cellular tissues and bones. MSM helps maintain healthy collagen by bonding it together, thus aiding in the formation of flexible bonds between cells.
Because collagen also holds skin tissue together, MSM helps support skin and wound healing. If MSM supplies are depleted, dry, cracked, damaged, and wrinkled skin may result! Hair and nail growth can also be improved by supplemental MSM.
Of special note to our members, MSM is thought to support joint comfort by relieving pressure at a cellular level—by allowing toxins to go out and nutrients to come in—thereby improving circulation. MSM can help flush lactic acid and toxins (created from overexertion and known to cause discomfort) from cellular tissues.
MSM has been found to increase the availability of vitamin C and other antioxidant nutrients, which support immune function and the body’s own healing mechanisms by supporting the permeability of cell walls.
Amino acids are dubbed the “building blocks” of proteins, and can benefit the blood, skin, immune and digestive systems. Sulfur helps to shape and hold amino acid chains, and helps to ensure protein bonds can be made.
Sulfur is a component of these amino acids in the body:
- Methionine: Helps the liver in the process of detoxification. Methionine is also an antioxidant and a good free radical scavenger.
- Cysteine: This amino acid works with several other vitamins and minerals to support cellular, hair, and skin health. Cysteine supplies over 10% of the body’s insulin and aids in pancreatic health. Cysteine also helps the body utilize vitamin B6. cystine also binds to heavy metals and other toxins to flush them from the body system.
- Taurine: Concentrated in the heart, skeletal muscles, and central nervous system, taurine has been shown to stimulate support healthy eye function, as well as assisting in the support of healthy insulin, calcium, and potassium levels in the blood stream.
- While MSM is generally considered extremely well tolerated, with no contraindications, it is suggested that MSM be avoided by pregnant and nursing mothers.
- In some persons, reaction to MSM can include nausea, diarrhea, and headache.