- Shows promise in supporting prostate health.
- Supports healthy cholesterol levels and boosts immune system function. It inhibits intestinal absorption of cholesterol by competing for the limited space for cholesterol in mixed micelles, otherwise known as "submicroscopic structural units of protoplasm, composed of a cluster of molecules." Just the kind of word you never knew you needed to know!.
- May possess immune boosting effects.
Beta sitosterol is a plant sterol often found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and is abundantly in saw palmetto, pumpkin seeds, and pygeum africanum.
Over the past few years, concentrated extracts of this particular phytosterol have been tested for supporting normal cholesterol levels and promoting prostate comfort and health. Roger Mason's book on prostate health is considered by many to be essential reading when it comes to a healthy, alternative approach to prostate health. The most positive reviews seem to come from men who have tried Mason's advice on diet and supplements (including beta sitosterol).
It may have additive effects with herbs and supplements possessing similar properties like chromium picolinate, flaxseed, garlic, gaur gum, niacin, oat bran, and psyllium!
- Beta sitosterol supplements should be avoided by pregnant and nursing mothers.
- Beta sitosterol is contraindicated in those with the genetic disorders sitosterolemia and cerebrotendinotic xanthomatosis, both rare conditions.